PV Sports Desk : Steve Smith will not appeal the 12-month ban he received from Cricket Australia for his role in the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa.
Smith, the top-ranked batsman in test cricket, was one of three players banned by Cricket Australia after TV cameras picked up evidence of Cameron Bancroft using sandpaper to roughen one side of the ball during the third cricket test against South Africa in Cape Town last month.
“I meant what I said about taking full responsibility as captain of the team. I won’t be challenging the sanctions,” Smith said in a statement posted on Twitter on Wednesday. “They’ve been imposed by CA to send a strong message and I have accepted them.”
In a teary news conference at the airport when he returned to Sydney last week after being sent home from Australia’s four-match tour, Smith apologized to all Australians for not doing enough to prevent the cheating plot.
He said he hoped to earn back the respect of fans and the rest of the country.
After a few days to think it over, he announced his next move along the same lines via social media.
“I would give anything to have this behind me and be back representing my country,” he tweeted.
Smith and vice-captain David Warner, found to be the instigator of a plot to tamper with the ball, were suspended from 12 months. Bancroft was banned for nine months.
Bancroft and Warner were all allowed time to consider their sanctions, which far outweigh penalties imposed by the International Cricket Council for ball tampering.