PV International Desk : Dozens of people were killed in a Boko Haram attack on an oil exploration team in northeast Nigeria earlier this week, military, reports AFP quoting medical and humanitarian sources.
“The death toll keeps mounting,” said one source involved in dealing with the aftermath of Tuesday’s attack near Magumeri, adding: “Now we have more than 50 and … more bodies are coming in.”
Others said the death toll was “at least 30”.
Details of the ambush, which was initially thought to be a kidnapping attempt, have been slow to emerge, as the military strictly controls access to Borno state, which has been the epicentre of Boko Haram violence.
Telecommunications and other infrastructure have been severely damaged or destroyed in the conflict, which has left at least 20,000 dead and more than 2.6 million homeless since 2009.