Narsingdi ‘militant’ raid: Five youths surrender

0
205
Five youths at a suspected militant hideout in Narsingdi have surrendered to RAB.

Though it was alleged that some of the detainees had fled from the raid at Sylhet’s Atia Mahal, their relatives claim the youths are not involved in militancy.

RAB had cordoned off the one storey building in the Narsingdi Sadar Upazila’s Gabtali on Saturday, saying five or six militants holed up inside.

At 9am on Sunday RAB Media Wing Director Mufti Mahmud Khan told reporters that they had spoken to the suspects inside the ‘hideout’ and that they were prepared to surrender.

“We have tried our best to ensure security and we always tried our best to get them to surrender. We have tried to do so by speaking to their relatives.”

By 11 am RAB had successfully extracted the five from the building.

Asked if anything had been found inside, Mufti Mahmud said:

“The bomb disposal unit will move in once the suspects have been extracted. We will inform the media if we find anything.”